Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Check out the terrariums I made!

I have been wanting to make a terrarium for a while now...I finally did!

Here is the list of materials that I used/purchased:
6-7 small plants (cost around $4 to $6 each)
charcoal for fish tanks ($5 at Walmart)
glass containter: (approx $6 each at Walmart)
fish tank pebbles ($4 at Walmart)
decorative moss: $5
Soil (I had some left over from last year


(the center one is my favorite!)

<3<3<3






Before starting, prep you plants by taking them out of the small plastic pot they came in and separate them from the soil. One plant can be broken into several smaller plants.

1. Put an inch layer of pebbles at the bottom of each container.
2. Soak moss in cold water and lay a thin layer over pebbles.
3. Mix charcoal and soil; wet mixture until "mud pie" texture.
4. Add 1 inch thick layer of soil/charcol on top of moss.
5. Plant your small plants in the soil; terrariums look best by using an odd amount of plants (I used 3).
6. Soak more moss in cold water and lay a thin layer over the soil. Make sure not to cover any plant leaves, but use the moss to lift the leaves instead.

There are a bunch of tutorials on youtube and on line if this is doesn't explain it well enough for you. ;)

No comments: